Thursday 27 October 2011

Bologna...burly blokes and bolognese...

Bologna Burly bloke #1 Neptune...
What a complete and utter delight was Bologna, basically I arrived here on a whim (it was raining in Venice) Bologna was on the "train line", pretty close, and looked easy, ticked all my boxes!
Burly bloke #2

As luck would have it, clear crisp blue sky's and much to be seen.

Bologna is known as the City of the Learned the Fat and the Red...
I love this because its absolutely correct, the Oldest University in the Western world, the red washed  terracotta colourings of their buildings and arcades, some of the longest in the world (and possibly some Communist leanings at some point) and the Fat for is agricultural wealth and of course it's wonderful FOOD and wine!


Like all of Europe it has a huge history that is laden with tales of trials and tribulations, they really were a bit "fighty" over here , this City was quite a lot about the Guelphs and the Ghibellines (personally I think they were just fighting about their silly names)  

Also, Galluzzis and the Carbonesis families, this is a bit of a sad one that would rival Romeo and Juliet from the nearby town of Verona, google that along with twin towers it's too sad to tell here... 



Rolling NOT folding, Italy Not Sweden...
 I joined in a wonderful days cooking course, this is the home of tortelloni, tortellini and tagliatelle NOT spaghetti, spaghetti does not LIVE HERE! quote/ unquote the beautiful Luciana who is the doppelgänger for Louise Hay...

I did this class because I am (as Im sure we all are) after the perfect "ragu" recipe, what better place to learn than in this gorgeous surprise of a city and in someone's home no less! 

Bolognese does live here, in fact it was invented here! 

It was sensational! 30 month aged parmesean and balsamic (as opposed to the pffft! piddling 24month) cow ricotta compared to sheep ricotta,  could you taste the difference? OH MY! yes indeed... same with the Prouisiutto, frankly I am (or my budget is) ruined for life...there is no going back when you have experienced pig, sheep and cow products like that!

Made...from SCRATCH!
We mixed and rolled (and rolled and rolled) for what seemed like forever, and the result was the most delicious warm and soulful meal I have had in a very long time all washed down by reserve vino and home made Limoncello (whooosh! dangerous stuff!) thank you to my wonderful fellow students and host's, frankly breaking bread is right up there in my favourite life experiences!


Dear Bologna, thank you for being such a delicious surprise and thank you for the wonderful cab driver Luca that insisted he was not happy (neither was I) with the Hotel (location) that I had chosen and drove me to about another half a dozen whilst I ran in, checked the rooms asked all the important questions and would not take a Euro more than the meter said (next to nothing) because he wanted me to have a lovely visit...once again, the kindness of strangers...lucky me :0)

There were some skinny chicks there too!
                                              Off to Paris next!
                                 As always, thank you for sharing xxx

No comments: