Sunday 23 October 2011

Gondola country...


There is not a lot more  to say about Venice except that it is indeed absolutely gorgeous!
Yes, it's filled with gondolas "driven" by very spunky gondolier's, who seem in the main part to be very perky and (at a price) will even sing with great gusto to you! and for just a wee bit more you can have a piano accordion player as well!
Delivery!!!

I didn't feel the need to try this out personally, however what a smile it puts on your face, you just can't help but love it! 

I came to Venice because in part, I have always loved the Monty Python "more F***king Gondolas" sketch, and frankly that to me is a good enough reason as any! :0)

Everything happens on the water here, it's quite incredible, it's also the most beautiful place to get lost in, you kind of know that you're on an Island so you can't get in too much trouble, but the divine crazy little streets and bridges are fantastic!

I also have to say it was stacks more fun than the main areas that had, I swear a gazillion tourists! To see them coming over those bridges was enough to make you turn the other way and run!
Once again, it's fascinating to visit these amazing places and then to realise (when you see someone rushing along with a hand full of mail) that people actually live there too! It must drive them bananas, having their home town filled with people who can't even say hello, those people deserve the menus with pictures and the food that goes with it...


 The Venice Biennale was in full swing, with exhibitions set up in beautiful buildings all throughout the City, I have always been quite interested in this concept of the most "cutting edge" artists being shown like this, so I was pretty excited to pop my head into an exhibition...well, hmmm gotta say, actually let me just share this...Yuko Sakuari of Japan... 
     Sakuari addresses travelling as an existential experience of time and space...

I didn't really get it either...
                          
I much preferred the robust realism of Rene Rietmeyer of the Netherlands...
       "ultimately, my work is nothing more than proof of my existence"

 
Good job Rene, you exist!
I wandered off and found the Guggenheim, now this was something to be impressed with, Peggy the Heiress who found herself with "time on her hands" after she parked her children in boarding school. 
What an amazing legacy she left us with, and thanks in no small part to good old Henri Moore who said if you're going to collect art buy from Artists who are alive not dead!


Peggy in her life time outlived 14 small pet dogs had a big fat palazzo and gondola in Venice, wonderful digs and galleries in New York and shamelessly supported and shagged many up and coming artists, all this with hairy legs, a very "important" nose and comfortable shoes...Quite frankly Peggy, I raise my glass to you!

Grey sky's, not by Murano!
So thank you Venice, where I ate sardines "Venetian Style" met a fabulous family from New Zealand and a gorgeous girl from Perth and had two brilliant "new friends" experiences, and thank you for the gorgeous "special place" in the world that you are and that we all should see if we get the opportunity!


Bummer that you rained on my last day though, which made me take a water taxi that cost as much as a Gondola ride (I'm sure including at least a song!)...because I couldn't wait to "get going" Venice is a place of water, but not when it comes from the sky!

Thanks for sharing xxx

No comments: