Tuesday 1 November 2011

Bonjour Paris...






How do I love Paris? let me count the ways... after many visits to this wonderful, warm (apart from some of the cranky waiters) and classy city, I still can't (and why would you want to?) resist it's charms!


soaking up the sunshine...
She's gorgeous, and begs to be wandered about, I could talk about all the regular and wonderful things that Paris has to offer such as the Musee d'Orsay (closed due to a strike) Sainte Chappelle (closed for security) The Louvre (I don't do queues) the Eiffel Tower (I don't do queues)...but instead I will share some extra beautiful things that come from just immersing yourself in "being here"
a cheery little band!

This is made so much easier by delightful friends such as Annette, Leigh and Little Eli leaving you ensconced in their beautiful apartment in the 6th whilst they whip off to Italy, Merci my darlings!

A Sunday morning stroll
down Rue du Bac, a pain au chocolat
from one of the most exquisite 
Sunday morning...
bakeries I've ever seen..

then, how about a little Renoir, Monet or Cezanne at the smaller (and open:0) Musee Oragngerie before a wine and cheese tasting at a very convivial (and super cool) wine bar O'Chateau...

A little Renoir to begin the day!

Not before a wander over a bridge that is covered in locks with names 
of couples declaring their undying love! It is fantastic!



Love under Lock and key!
I must be honest and share that it wasn't all highbrow "culture" 
After the said wine and cheese tasting (I'm quite sure I consumed my own bodyweight in cheese, and goodness gracious it was c'est bonne!!!!!) 
I had "bonded" with a great couple
from the UK Rachael and Chris, 
whoops!
after two or so hours of sniffing swirling      
and tasting fabulous French vino's, 
we wandered out into the crisp fresh 
Parisian day and Chris said "I think we need a pub" :0) too right! 
which is how at some impossibly late hour that night, after searching for (and finding) a jazz club (and then not going in because we were chatting too much) we found ourselves in a cab heading home from a fantastic area (who knows where?!) of Paris, quite possibly feeling a little like that lovely sculpture...  

I have, thus far (ok! apart from "the" boots in Milan) resisted quite successfully the temptations of gratuitous shopping, but here temptation lies in every shop window...it is incredible, every ten steps you feel as though you could reinvent your look "just like the display" not only that, you just know it would make your life if not complete, just SO much better!
Did I fall in love?????
                                                        
There appears to really be very little that the French don't do better style wise, be it fashion, bread, pastries, cheese, shop displays i.e. choosing free range eggs by "egg" and putting them into the carton yourself, the coats the scarves the gloves (yes I bought them all here, actually not the eggs!) although their coffee is a bit crappy, as to the flirting, all I can say is "resistance is useless"... :0)
                                               
Ok one for the traditionalists!


                                 Merci! and thank you for sharing! xxx

4 comments:

Lesley said...

Why do Frenchmen only have one egg for breakfast?Because one egg is un oeuf!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I love and miss you!! What wonderful memories of our trip to Paris you have evoked, the strikes and the closures plus the line at the Louvre bit made me laugh out loud, the food and the fun were fabulous and remember those G&T's in the courtyard? Can you believe it was twelve years ago! You are doing the most amazing job my beautiful Seka, Bear Grylls has nothing on you intrepid adventurer! xx

Ole Radi said...

Oh my goodness I had forgotten those G&T's...they were so big NO wonder!Love and hugs and yes they are still being very "French" about the strikes etc...xxx

Ole Radi said...

boom boom Lesley, amongst some of my cleverest friends who can "crack" (continuing the Oeuf theme)a joke in a foreign language!xxx