Tuesday 27 September 2011

Stairs to Heaven...Santorini

One of my lovely friends said that I was in Honeymoon territory, I have a theory on this, after spending four days there I really believe that the reason people can't walk properly is indeed an S word...STAIRS! Oh my goodness they are everywhere!
Prettier than Fava Beans


Santorini was created 3,600 years ago as the result of a Volcanic eruption, it is famous for it's white eggplant, cherry tomatoes, capers and split peas which when made into the local speciality Fava (a Euro version of Dahl) is also responsible for some rather epic volcanic eruptions...

It is without doubt one of the most glorious places I've visited, the views the wine and the food! In addition to my prerequisite sardines they have some of the most "foodie" restaurants in Greece...as an example...
Beef fillet potato puree flavoured with bergamot, summer truffle sauce and parmesan ice cream...clever, inventive and DELICIOUS! 

Even the beautiful hotel breakfast, what could be better than licking home made syrupy cherry jam off your fingers, that has dribbled off crusty on the outside and soft on the inside fat white bread...actually, thick Greek yoghurt with lashings of melted chocolate is...
earning lunch

the beautiful Eleni earning a swim
Now, so we could continue to indulge in these fabulous delights, let me tell you why you don't turn into a "porker"...because you have to work for every thing there, whether it's a meal or a swim...
However, the rewards...




When you finally arrive and fall into that beautiful clear crisp sea (its not and Ocean here) my goodness all the hard slog becomes a distant memory, and a G&T on the way home takes care of the return journey!
There is of course the option of taking a donkey, but after a rather traumatic incident with a donkey when I was little, leaving me with a scar on my head and the fact that they're a bit "ponkey" and it's a mean thing to do...we did it the proper way...even though it was tough!


So my Greek odyssey is nearly complete, once again my heart is overwhelmed by the kindness, generosity and sharing of beautiful people in my life. So many adventures and so many memories made!
It was tough...
REALLY TOUGH!  



and to all the beautiful people at home and abroad who continue to read my stories, I so appreciate it...we're off to Turkey next!


Thanks for sharing xxx


No comments: