Tuesday 13 September 2011

Party at the Parthenon!



Party King Mr D!
I visited the new Acropolis Museum on the weekend (as in a new Museum not a new Acropolis) it's a bit of a triumph and wealth of info about the olden days, seriously the stuff in there is super old... interestingly they appear to use Artline marker directly on these pieces to label them though...a lot of the statues have some extremities missing (I had held high hopes for the Erectheion section to find them, sadly it's just another time frame :0) but just incredible history none the less!

I discovered that those guys really knew how to party (in between wars with the Persians and other such people...)

The party King however was Dionysus, he was the God of Wine, Inebriation, Ecstatic Dance and finally Vegetation (which I think is the state they all found themselves in the day after)
His symbols, amongst other things such as grape vines and the Kantharos Cup (the one with a handle on each side) was the phallus.. it is no wonder that he was the most popular Deity, his part of the Parthenon was jumping!
Zeus's place with taxi to Dionysus's

Athens is amazing, in the roads and even some of the shops, are clear floors so that you can see the original aqueducts and real ruiny type locations that run under the City (not like those second rate ones in Lira!) It's amazing to imagine how they worked it all out... 

Authentic ancient tools...Bunnings BC


The Akroploi, Monestiriki and Central area are filled with great little shops and of course gorgeous restaurants, just imagine strolling along glancing up and seeing the Acropolis with the most beautiful night lighting...however I think my fave meal to date was in Gazzi (the old gas station area) and seriously I have to stop eating sardines or I will turn into one (or a cat) but oh my... freshly grilled, liberally sprinkled with sea salt, doused with olive oil and fresh lemon juice and on the side a little wilted wild spinach, steamed baby zuchinni, fat plump vine ripen tomatoes, baby cucumbers and of course feta cheese and the sensational chunks of bread to mop up the plate... you get the idea :0)

Mind the GAP is very serious over here...
I am proud to say not only have I got the hang of the Metro, I also managed to find my favourite bookshop in Athens from my last visit! 
 Pigeon territory...

So, am as happy as the proverbial little piglet in mud, stocked up on books and ready to choose my next Island (I love the international travel library, it feels so great to leave a finished good book behind "somewhere" knowing it will be appreciated by a "starved reader") actually I could say, someone who will fall upon it like a seagull on a chip at the beach...which would segue quite nicely into "a pigeon flew into my head today"...true story, no injuries but I really hate pigeons... 

Yet again I'm pinching myself at how truly lucky I am, currently at the beautiful Eleni's (tall, slim hazel eyed super model material) beautiful apartment with a heaving stocked girlie fridge (wine, smoked salmon, wine) and beauty cabinet with instructions to "make my self totally at home and not to replace anything"...when I pointed out that this was beyond any expectations...Eleni's words were "this is not beyond expectations, THIS is simply hospitality..."
  
No, this is quite simply being the luckiest most appreciative girl in the world knowing I'm loved to bit's by by beautiful, warm, generous people...

As always...thanks for sharing xxx

No comments: